Friday, February 2, 2018

Our IVF Journey isn't over even with a baby on the way

In my last post I asked you to stayed tuned so I won't delay the results of our embryo transfer any longer....we are pregnant! We just didn't get pregnant with our first transfer.
 
We opted to have a fresh embryo transfer which took place just five days after our egg retrieval. I don't believe in looking at the past but I know some of you are going through IVF or planning to. All I can say is don't underestimate how invasive IVF is to your body. It was a combination of my underestimation of IVF and being impatient that lead to us opting for a fresh transfer.  Some studies have shown a slight advantage in frozen transfers but it is always best to consult with your own medical team before making a decision.

Having an unsuccessful transfer was difficult but we still had hope. We were very fortunate to have two other embryos that were available for us to try again with. Our medical team wanted us to try again with a frozen transfer right away. I on the other hand was not ready to begin another regimen of shots, blood work, and ultrasounds. In total we took two months off from IVF. This time off allowed my body to fully recover from the egg retrieval. We also took a vacation for some much needed fun.

In October 2017 we were ready to begin our frozen embryo transfer. Both types of transfers are similar but a frozen transfer actually required about five weeks of preparation before the transfer would take place. Once again I began taking shots. This time I only had to take one shot per night. This lasted for about three weeks until we were ready for transfer day.

I have been asked about how we picked a time to do our shots since they must be taken at the same time each day. We chose to do our shots around 9pm. This way we could get everything we needed done through the day and be able to do the shots at home. Now that doesn't mean that we were always home. There were a few times I had to "shoot up" in parking lots like when our good friends got married and the time we attended a broadway show. We even took our medications along to the NASCAR race in Martinsville because we weren't sure if we would be home in time.

Transfer Day arrived on November 8th.  Having been through a transfer once before I knew what to expect. Not going to lie when I say the best part is getting to take a Valium before the procedure. IVF is nerve-wracking so getting medical assistance to stay relaxed was alright by me. Plus the nap you get to take after transfer is some of the best sleep you can get.
My best part of transfer day is getting the first picture of the embryo.  Sorry parents of non IVF babies but this is where IVF wins. A first ultrasound picture is cool but it just doesn't get any better than seeing a picture of your baby when it is only cells, which you only get when doing IVF. 

Once I was wheeled into the procedure room we were able to see our embryo on a TV screen. Next comes the really fun part. We were able to watch as our embryo was transferred from the petri dish into the catheter, and then placed in my uterus. It is the craziest thing getting to see your future baby be placed into the womb. Thank you science!!
Us on transfer day in all our medical gear..and Jarrett sporting one of his goofy faces

Once again it was time to now spend the next 12 days waiting for the results. Waiting is the hardest part so this time we decided to get away for a few days. The day following our procedure we drove to the beach to spend a couple of nights. We took our dogs and just spent the days sitting on the beach and eating at all of our favorite foods. I highly recommend doing something like this if you go through IVF. I'm not saying that this is the reason why our transfer was successful but it certainly didn't hurt.

Some relaxing beach time

Finally the day came for the blood test to confirm if this transfer worked. It was the Monday before Thanksgiving when we got the call that we were finally pregnant. Hearing the doctor tell us she had
good news was surreal but it didn't mean we could just sit back and celebrate. In IVF you have to continue progesterone shots and take extra estrogen into your 11th week of pregnancy. That's right...more needles. IVF pregnancy's are also monitored on a weekly basis.

Baby Glass is due in late July. He or She will be the 14th baby born thanks to the Bundle of Joy Fund. Jarrett and I believe that all of this happened for a reason. We are determined to stand up for the rights of those facing infertility. I am actively petitioning my workplace to add infertility coverage to the insurance plan offered. Surprising fact, research has shown that adding infertility coverage can actually lower cost of insurance.

We share our journey through infertility and IVF to help lessen the stigma attached to it. IVF isn't just something famous people do, it isn't something that people chose because they think adoption isn't good enough. We do IVF because it gives us the best opportunity to have a family. The United States is one of just a few nations that does not treat infertility for what it is which is a health issue. It's time that changed.

We are going to keep blogging to keep you updated not only on the progress of Baby Glass but the progress we must make in honor of Baby Glass. We have dealt with the challenges of IVF and infertility. I am not afraid of any religious group who says IVF should be banned because it is not "god's will." Yes these people exist and are actively trying to pass legislation to make IVF illegal. I won't fear in taking on a CEO, member of congress, senators, organizations, or anyone else who wants to stand in the way of the rights of those with infertility any longer.

Baby Glass due July 2018
 




1 comment:

  1. My partner and I have been trying for a baby for over 11years, We were going to a fertility clinic for years before somebody told me to contact this spell caster who is so powerful called Agbazara Temple for him to help me get pregnant,And I'm glad we contacted DR.AGBAZARA, Because his pregnancy spell cast put us at ease, and I honestly believe him, and his powers really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email at: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) if you are trying to get a baby, he has powers to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Rocco's Arrival and First Play Date

I am long overdue for a new blog entry. The last one was back in April. I have good reason to be overdue. Since April I have started a new j...